Saturday, April 6, 2013

Are You Iron Sharpening Iron, Or Dull Tin?


Alone, Together & the Metal Iron
by py thomas © April 6, 2013

18 Adonai, God, said, “It isn’t good that the person should be alone. I will make for him a companion suitable for helping him.”  (Genesis 2:18)

17 As iron sharpens iron,
So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. (Proverbs 27:17)

A friend who is a recent God-send in my life helped me to see why it is not good to be alone, that we are in fact created to be with others.  That was not the intent of their visit – there were no intents – just to reconnect, but that turned out to be the much needed blessing that the LORD had in store for me.  Truly, the LORD is my Shepherd and therefore I will not have lack of anything needed.

As I reflected on their visit and things we shared, the following morning I had a revelation about Genesis 2:18, that it is in fact not a good thing for people to be alone, because being alone means I’m out of balance and that my perspective about a lot of things will be tilted and “jitterbugging” all over the place, instead of the smooth waltz I desire.  In the dynamic of interpersonal relationships and relationships between a man and a woman, we truly need each other – “iron sharpening iron,” for without that we become dull and useless. 

I don’t deny that there are seasons that we go through of being alone whether for a day or some years, but we’re not even alone then, because the LORD is with us and bringing about His purposes in us.  He has promised never to leave us, nor forget about us (see Deuteronomy 31:6).

Proverbs 27:17 is a great example of the need and the benefit of being together with someone.  As I meditated on this scripture more, I noted that it does not say that it’s “aluminum sharpening iron,” nor “copper sharpening iron,” or “wood sharpening iron; but “iron sharpening iron.”  This beautifully exemplifies the requirement of two equally yoked metals making each other the best they can be.

The key and foundation is being equally yoked – like-minded in faith (in Yeshua the Messiah), values, and the mutual willingness to agree to disagree, the understanding of the importance and application of mutual respect for each other.  These things are the catalyst which bridges the strongest type of intimacy between a man and a woman – two opposites coming together in unity – making each other better and not bitter.

If we want to learn, we must be open to learn and be willing to change.   Without wanting to change, we’ll never learn. 
The truth shall truly set us free when we're open to it and don't behave like an ostrich, burying our heads in the sand out of fear or pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment